Homer, Ohio is known as the birthplace of Victoria Woodhull, the first woman to run for President of the United States in 1872, a full 48 years before women had the right to vote.
The Homer Public Library traces its origins to January 30, 1895, when A. H. Wright, T. N. Dean and others met in the Homer Town Hall to organize a Reading Circle which they named the Homer Library Association. The town hall meeting place was known as "The Reading Room" with members donating books and adhering to a set of rules adopted by the Association. Each member owned shares according to the number of books donated.
In 1970, a new facility was built and the library moved to its present location. The new building contained 2,600 square feet. As the population of the surrounding area has grown, so has the library. New additions were built in 1983, 1990 and 1998 bringing the total area of the library to over 8,000 square feet. Finally, in 2006, the library acquired the adjacent building and land from the Homer Volunteer Fire Department. This acquisition brought the library additional meeting space for the community and storage space for library usage. Additionally, the library gained ownership of its adjacent parking lot. The library now has an area of over 10,000 square feet, offers over 35,000 books, periodicals and other materials and has 7 public computers providing broadband internet access.